torsdag den 22. september 2011

La Belle Dame Sans Merci

John Keats (1795-1821). The Poetical Works of John Keats. 1884.

Ballad


 I.
O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
 Alone and palely loitering?
The sedge has wither'd from the lake,
And no birds sing.

II.
O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
 So haggard and so woe-begone?
The squirrel's granary is full,
 And the harvest's done.

III.
I see a lily on thy brow
 With anguish moist and fever dew,
And on thy cheeks a fading rose
 Fast withereth too.

IV.
I met a lady in the meads,
 Full beautiful - a feary's child,
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
 And her eyes were wild.

V.
I made a garland for her head,
 And bracelets too, and fragrant zone;
She look'd at me as she did love,
 And made sweet moan.

VI.
I set her on my pacing steed,
 And nothing else saw all day long,
For sidelong would she bend, and sing
 A faery's song.

VII.
She found me roots of relish sweet,
 And honey wild, and manna dew,
And sure in language strange she said-
"I love thee true."

VIII.
She took me to her elfin grot,
 And there she wept, and sigh'd fill sore,
And there I shut her wild wild eyes
 With kisses four.

IX.
And there she lulled me asleep,
 And there I dream'd - Ah! woe betide!
The latest dream I ever dream'd
 On the cold hill's side.

X.
I saw pale kings and princes too,
 Pale warriors, death pale were they all;
They cried - "La Belle Dame sans Merci
Hath thee in thrall!"

XI.
I saw their starved lips in the gloam,
 With horrid warning gaped wide,
And I awoke and found me here,
On the cold hill's side.

XII.
And this is why I sojourn here,
 Alone and palely loitering,
Though the sedge is withere'd from the lake,
 And no birds sing.









Billederne er (oppefra og ned) malet af:
Frank Dicksee o. 1902
Arthur Hughes, 1861-63
Frank Dicksee, ?
John William Waterhouse, 1893